Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Salad In A Jar

We have had so many requests for this recipe since we plastered it all over Facebook :)  These are easy but a little time consuming because you need to chop up all the veggies. Putting them together is a breeze. You can make the salad any way you want.... chicken taco, sea food, fruit, etc. or just put veggies/meat in the jar and enjoy! Let your imagination run wild.

The secret (if there is one) is to keep the hearty veggies at the bottom. There will be no sogginess if you remember this. Use things like shredded cabbage, celery & pea pods. Then add your peppers, fruit meat and lettuce always at the top.


This is the veggies and meat for 10 quart jars of salad.
I roasted several chicken breasts. A few with Lawry's season salt & fresh ground pepper. The others I seasoned with home made taco seasoning. I also used medium canned shrimp (rinsed well) and albacore tuna.

Decide on a dressing and pour it on the bottom of a quart canning jar. Next add some shredded cabbage, then for the taco chicken I put put chopped celery, cherry tomatoes sliced in half, sliced green onions, black beans, diced chicken breast and diced romaine lettuce. For this Chicken Taco Salad I made Restaurant Style Salsa. One had just salsa on the bottom, the other I mixed salsa and Greek yogurt together. 


Raspberry Chicken

Raspberry Chicken Salad
For the shrimp I made a dressing with equal parts of low-fat mayo and Greek yogurt,    1 tbs. Parmesan cheese and 1 tsp. horseradish along with salt to taste. I thinned it with almond milk. My friend Jason suggested taking Greek yogurt, zest of an orange and juice from the orange.  DEEELISH!!

I think you get now........ It's fun and delicious.
Add caption
  These make a really large salad, so feel free to share. I am going to try some in a pint jar next.
Bon Appetit
Let me know how yours turn out.


1 comment:

  1. I also added Chia seeds to the last few salads. Give them a little more "kick".

    ReplyDelete