Sunday, March 17, 2013

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Hope you all had a fantastic day.
I love Shepherds pie.
Cottage pie or shepherd's pie is a meat pie with a crust of mashed potato.
The term cottage pie is known to have been in use in 1791 when the potato was being introduced as an edible crop affordable for the poor.
In early cookery books, the dish was a means of using leftover roasted meat of any kind, and the pie dish was lined with mashed potato as well as having a mashed potato crust on top.

 I have never made Shepherds Pie, have only had it in restaurants. I wanted to think up a good low glycemic way to make it. I had 2 pounds of ground chicken in the freezer so I started with that. I looked up several different recipes and just pulled out the things about each that sounded good. And, away I went.



 I browned up the 2lbs of ground chicken, added sea salt, red onion, celery, fresh ground pepper & carrot.  Then I added tomato paste, chicken broth, green beans, thyme, rosemary & chopped garlic. I let that simmer for about 15 minutes to let the flavors mix.

While that was simmering I cut up and steamed a head of cauliflower. When it was done a mashed it up with my stick blender.


 and added a handful of low cal Italian blend, shredded, cheese.
 I then put the meat mixture into a pie pan and put the cauliflower mixture on top and spread it out.
Baked for 35 min and ...... WHAAALAAA

Let it sit for 15 min and then I dug in.

It was DELISH!

Low Glycemic Shepherds Pie

2lb. ground chicken
1 cup chopped onion
2 carrots, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
2 tbsp. organic quinoa flour
3 tbsp. tomato paste
1 1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tsp. thyme leaves
1 tsp. rosemary
1 1/2 cup organic green beans (frozen)

1 head cauliflower
cheese, shredded (1 palm full)

Preheat oven to 400

1.  Brown the ground chicken and add the onion, carrots, garlic. Cook until they begin to take on color, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Add salt & pepper.
2. Sprinkle the meat with the flour and toss to coat, continuing to cook for another minute. 
3. Add the tomato paste, chicken broth, rosemary, thyme, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer slowly 10-12 minutes or until the sauce is thickened slightly.
4. Add the green beans.
5. Steam the cauliflower. When it is soft, drain the water (make sure it is dry) and mash the cauliflower until smooth.
6. Add the cheese to the cauliflower and stir to mix.
7. Place the meat mixture in the bottom of a 8 x 8 inch pan or in a pie pan.
8. Spread the cauliflower cheese mixture on top of the meat mixture.
9. Bake 35 minutes & let rest for 15 minutes.

Enjoy and let me know how you like it :)








1 comment: