Sunday, March 24, 2013

Where's The Heat

It's March and the weather doesn't seem to be getting "Spring Like". I think most of us have cabin fever right now. I decided to go with it and make a chicken stew.

I had some chicken breasts in the freezer (a staple in the house). So I thawed them and cut into bite size pieces.  Poured 2 tbsp. grape seed oil into a frying pan and seasoned the chicken with salt, pepper, celery seasoning & tajin. I love Tajin, it has this lime salty flavor to it. Really good in bloody mary's  too. (I digress) I sauteed the chicken for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
While the chicken is cooking I cut up the veggies, 1 onion, 2 carrots
( sliced thin), 1 green pepper & 1 yellow pepper, diced, 1 jalapeno, diced & 2 stalks of celery, sliced.

When the chicken is almost done, add a palm full of Montreal Steak Seasoning stir and mix well.  Remove the chicken from the pan and reserve.



Add 1 Tbsp. of grape seed oil and add the veggies to the pan.  Season veggies with salt & pepper to taste.  
While the veggies are cooking, in a sauce pan put
2 cups of chicken broth and 1 cup of rinsed quinoa.
Bring to a boil, simmer for about 20 min. until quinoa is tender.

When veggies are done add the chicken back into the pan. Mix and sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. of quinoa flour. Stir to mix and cook for 1 minute longer. Add chicken broth to pan
 ( about 1 cup) stir and simmer until thickened. This forms the gravy for the stew.
When the quinoa is done place it in a bowel and spoon the chicken stew over it.

Enjoy!
Let me know how you like it  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment